About the Friends of Cumston Hall
At the Town of Monmouth Annual Town Meeting, March 13, 1899, Dr. Charles M. Cumston startled the townspeople in attendance by revealing a deeply held secret known to only a few trusted confidants of the retired educator. He was called upon to speak and announced that he was of a mind to give Monmouth a new town hall.
Charles Cumston had formed an alliance with Harry Hayman Cochrane by requesting that the young artist design the proposed building. Cochrane produced a plan, Dr. Cumston was delighted with it, the Cochrane plan was presented to the town, and it was immediately adopted.
Cumston Hall cost nearly $20,000, and the building was completed in a year. The dedication was held in the theater of the hall on June 27, 1900.
After over 100 years of constant use, Cumston Hall requires some tender, loving attention to prepare it for another century of service.
To this end, the Town of Monmouth and the Friends of Cumston Hall have engaged in a Centennial project to preserve, renovate, repair, expand and endow Cumston Hall to better carry on Dr. Cumston’s dream. We invite you to join us in our effort to assure that present and future generations have access to this treasured landmark.
Board of Directors